victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Monday, April 28, 2014

Zucchini Muffins--Whole Wheat & Flax

These are a good hearty whole wheat muffin. Kids and adults love them! Beware that my recipe makes about 36 full size muffins, so you can adjust it to make less if needed.




Preheat oven to 350 degrees
6 cups whole wheat flour (I prefer ground white-wheat)*
1-2 TBS cinnamon (I'm not picky, I just dump!)
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1-2 tsps of Nutmeg or Allspice (I often just dump!)
3 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
1/2 to 3/4 cup ground flax seed (I keep it as seeds and then grind it in a coffee grinder as needed)
MIX all dry ingredients until blended and then add:
3 to 4 cups of shredded zucchini (I tend to freeze a bunch in the fall and use it all year around)
1 cup apple sauce (or oil if you don't want to use applesauce)**
4 eggs
2 to 3 tsps of lemon juice
Mix again until all ingredients are incorporated well. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake for 12-15 minutes. (Depending on the size and type of muffin tin. Darker bakes a little faster and may need a lower temp, lighter may take a little longer.)
*Sometimes if I don't have quite enough whole wheat already ground, then I will grind up oats in my blender and use them in place of a couple cups of flour. Wheat flour has glutenins, so it would not work to do this straight across with oats/wheat, but it works really well with about 2 cups of ground oats.
**I have noticed that applesauce can make a dense bread loaf  and if it is not cooked evenly the whole way through it won't taste as good, so when I am making anything like this without oil, I like it as muffins, not as a bread loaf. Lowering the temperature will help if you want to try this as a loaf.

ENJOY! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment