victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Monday, March 7, 2011

flax seed bread

My dad introduced me to this recipe and I love it. It is a really good hearty and healthy bread.  It is made with whole wheat flour and it is full of flax seed which is very high in omega 3's and in dietary fiber. I love a slice of this lightly toasted with a little home made applesauce, avocado or almond butter. It goes with just about anything.


1       tbs. active dry yeast
1 3/4   cups warm water
3       tbs. honey or 1/8 cup sugar
1       tbs. oil (safflower or olive)
1/2     tsp. salt (may be omitted)
1       cup flaxseed meal (2.3 cup whole seeds, ground)
3       cups of fresh ground whole wheat flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warmed water.
Set aside until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Mix in the honey or sugar, oil, salt, flaxseed meal, and half of the flour.  Mix well.
Stir in the rest of the flour.  Add it a 1/2 sup at a time until it makes a soft, kneadable dough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
Grease a 9 x 5 inch bread pan.  Shape the dough into a loaf and place in the pan. 
Cover; let rise in a warm place for about an hour, until doubled in bulk. (I warm up the oven to 200 degrees and then turn it off and stick the bread in for 20 minutes to rise. Then turn it up to 350 degrees to bake.)
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the loaf is browned on top and sounds hollow then tapped.
Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan.

Topped with plain greek yogurt and pomegranate syrup.

2 comments:

  1. awesome! I'm glad you found this... I will make it again and see what happens when I use hard white wheat instead of hard red wheat. (but I'm not going to attempt it until I get my mixer back. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I think I will try this today but I really want your flax/nutty bread that you make in a dutch oven!!

    ReplyDelete