victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Sunday, April 17, 2011

banana turds

I got this recipe called "Banana Cookies" from my mom years ago.  We love them.  They are perfect for road trips, camping and good snacking but there was just one problem with them - the name... "Cookies".  Despite being sweet and nutty and very yummy they aren't what you expect when you think you are biting into a cookie.  They don't taste indulgently gratifying like a cookie should, they are more... well... wholesome, more like a muffin or something.  So, if you think you are getting a tantalizing "cookie" and then bite into it, it doesn't taste that great.  But, if you call them a "turd"... 

I am very sure that b.r.g.d. had something to do with coming up with the name.  I think it went something like this: 
me - "We can't call them cookies, they don't taste like cookies."
b.r.g.d - "Well, what should we call them?"
me - "I don't know, they aren't really quite like a muffin or a cookie.  What do they look like?"
b.r.g.d - "a turd."

I had a hard time arguing with that and, with a little extra help from our kids, the name stuck and we have been calling them "turds" for years.
Anyway, they are yummy and relatively good for you (ie., good source of fiber and whole grains, not high in fat or processed sugar - good for you - unless you eat 7 of them at a time, which I am very prone to do, thus they are only "relatively good for you".)

Banana Turds

¼ cup oil
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
3 overripe bananas, mashed
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp cloves
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup craisins or golden raisins
½ cup ground flax seed
½ cup oat bran

Mix oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, bananas and nuts in large bowl.
Stir in dry ingredients.  Beat well.
Add raisins.
Drop by rounded tablespoonful 1” apart on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 min.

Yield: 50 cookies

Optional variation – ground dark chocolate chips are also really good in these, especially with the craisins, and only a little less "good for you".

3 comments:

  1. I love me some turds. I hope the rest of the world joins me and my family on the turd train. All aboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mads an enormous double batch of these turds today. They are amazing! I changed a couple things though. I left out the eggs and the oil and added a cup of homemade sugarless applesauce. I also used molasses instead of brown sugar. Awesome!!! Thanks Bec!

    ReplyDelete