victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

coconut shrimp with garlic lime sauce


coconut shrimp with garlic lime sauce
this is a recipe to convert the non-believers. I know. I used to be a non-believer. as long as I can remember, I've despised seafood.

growing up, I couldn't get seafood in any form past my uvula. countless times I heard the sentiment 'you just haven't had it prepared right' and 'this is unlike any seafood you've ever had.' every time it was completely untrue, and that rank fish taste was there with instantaneous gag reflexes.

I never wanted to be the weird kid who didn't eat fish, so I kept trying it on various occasions. then one fateful night when the stars were aligned, the feng shui was conducive to changing tides, and the coins in my ashtray added up to 86 cents, coconut shrimp was there. not only did I swallow it, I kinda liked it. the fish taste was still there. but it was confusingly enjoyable.

It was my gateway drug. I've eaten a few different types of seafood since my door opening experience three and a half months ago, and the only one that wouldn't go down was some raw sushi.

I've since stolen the recipe from my sister and present it for you here.
try it.
make some.


1cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2teaspoon paprika
1/2teaspoon Ground white pepper
1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4teaspoon table salt
1/4teaspoon sugar

1 large egg
¼ c buttermilk or milk

1cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)

1pound extra-large shrimp (21 to 25 count), peeled and deveined
3–4cups vegetable oil , for frying
1 lime , cut into wedges

Prepare garlic lime sauce and set aside. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 200
degrees. Combine the flour, spices, salt, and sugar in a gallon ziploc. Lightly beat the egg with the milk in another
shallow dish. Combine the coconut and panko in a third shallow dish.

Get the shrimp mostly dry and then put them in the bag with the flour mixture to coat each one. Then, shaking
any excess flour off each one, dip the shrimp into the eggs, turning to coat well, and allow the excess to drip off.
Drop the shrimp into the coconut-panko mixture, and press the coconut lightly to adhere. Shake off any excess
coconut and place the shrimp on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.

Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until it reaches 350 degrees. (Use an
instant-read thermometer that registers high temperatures or clip a candy/deep-fat thermometer onto the side of
the pan before turning on the heat.) Gently place half of the shrimp in the oil (or however many fit easily in the oil
without making the temp drop too much) and fry, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, until golden, about 2 1/2
minutes. Using a slotted spoon, spider, or tongs, transfer the shrimp to a rimmed baking sheet lined with several
layers of paper towels and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Keep in the warm oven while you fry the remaining
shrimp. Serve immediately, accompanied by the garlic lime sauce and the lime wedges.

Garlic Lime Sauce

1 c honey
3 Tbsp lime juice
1-2 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
2-3 cloves finely chopped or minced garlic

Bring to a rolling boil over med-high heat. Let cool.

2 comments: