victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Thursday, February 17, 2011

chocolate tofu pudding


I’ve tried a several different variations of tofu puddings over the years and I have to admit that Mark Bittman’s Mexican Chocolate Tofu Pudding is by far the best. I think the extra spices and good melted chocolate are huge help to hide that hint of soy taste.  I don’t mind the soy taste, but I think most people do. So, this is a really good one to try.  Most chocolate soy puddings recipes call for cocoa powder and a variety of different sweeteners  - sugar, granulated cane juice, agave nectar etc. So long as you can get it smooth…   My family loves this recipe.
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 water
1 pound silken tofu
8 ounces high-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon  pure vanilla
(for Mark Bittman’s Mexican style is to add the next two spices)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
(Or you could try adding a teaspoon of orange raspberry or mint)

1. Melt chocolate in a double boiler on the stove. Cool slightly. In a small pot, combine sugar with water; bring to a boil and cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
2. Put all ingredients in a blender and purée until completely smooth, stopping machine to scrape down its sides if necessary. Divide among 4 to 6 ramekins and chill for at least 30 minutes. If you like, garnish with chocolate shavings before serving.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Also instead of ramekins, chill it in a vegan pie crust for an awesome chocolate pudding pie.

Topping Possibilities:
Chocolate Shavings
Slivered Almonds
Orange Zest
Fresh Mint

3 comments:

  1. the tofu is in my fridge waiting for me... begging me to do this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I have some tofu in my fridge also! I think I'll try this tonight, Preston doesn't have to work tomorrow so it's definitely a treat night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so we tried it. And this is great! Of course, this is my husband's house and so we topped it with whipped cream (does that fly in the face of the tofu?)

    I am thinking we should try making this and putting it in the ice cream maker. Choco-chili tofu ice cream anyone?

    ReplyDelete