victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Monday, February 21, 2011

spice it up

I am one of those who really likes to know what is in my food.  The best way to do that is to make it from scratch.  Not to mention that it gives me much more control over the flavors in the end product.  If the spice pack from the grocery store is too salty for my taste (which it generally is - I want flavor not just salt) then there isn't a whole lot I can do about it.  But if I make it myself then it is perfectly salted and flavorful.  Here are 3 of my favorite ways to spice up my fajitas, my red meats and my white meats.



Favorite Fajita spice – chicken, beef, veggies and probably tofu, though I haven’t tried it. Jane, you up for it?
1 ½ tsp cumin (powder or whole seeds ground in mortar and pestle)
½ tsp oregano powder
¼ tsp salt (or ½ tsp kosher salt)
¼ tsp red or cayenne pepper
¼ tsp black pepper (freshly ground if possible)
1 tsp garlic
2 Tbsp chili powder
Marinate with Worcestershire
Perfect for grilling or over range heat.  (If the grill isn't an option I often use my wok to cook fajita fillings, it allows me to cook at a good quick controlable high heat.)

Favorite Rub – Our absolute favorite on tri-tip, perfect on brisket, we loved it on our filet mignion in the King’s crown, it is probably good on any grilled red meat.
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper (or more, I usually just dump a bunch of peppercorns in the mortar and pestle them to bits)
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp oregano powder
½ tsp cumin (powder or whole seeds ground in mortar and pestle)
2 tsp garlic powder
Pat meat dry with a paper towel.  Apply a very thin coating of olive oil and rub the spice mix in 20 min or so before grilling or searing.


Favorite Glaze – Awesome on turkey (especially grilled), great on pork tenderloin and probably any cut of pork.
3 cloves garlic
½ med onion
1 Tbsp finely chopped rosemary leaves
½ cup honey
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp cayenne
½ cup pomegranate juice (or a pomegranate/cranberry blend)

Process the garlic, onion and rosemary in a food processor.  Add remaining ingredients and process till smooth.   Cook in a small saucepan over med-high heat ‘till good and bubbly.  Cool and use to glaze grilled meats (glaze for the last 30 min of grilling, re-applying each ½ hour) or for roasting meats (apply before roasting and re-apply as/if needed).


No comments:

Post a Comment