victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Thursday, February 17, 2011

multi-grain scones



Awesome!!! We’ve never met anyone who didn’t love this recipe. It’s a frequently requested favorite. This is a Dr. Andrew Weil recipe. To make these a little healthier and to use ingredients that I have in the house I make a few changes; whole wheat flour, flax seed and soy milk… fun things like that. I haven’t done this without the eggs yet for a vegan version, but I am sure that I will.

1 egg
½ cup sugar
5 tablespoons grapeseed or expeller-pressed canola oil
⅛ teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup oatmeal (not instant)
¼ cup wheat bran
1 ½ cups unbleached white flour (whole wheat flour)
2 tablespoons millet (I grind this - a coffee grinder works great)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
(2 tablespoons fax seeds - I grind this also)
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup milk (soy milk)

ZESTY LEMON TOPPING:
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.

2. Whisk the egg, sugar and oil together in a bowl. Mix the lemon zest and all of the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until all of them are evenly dispersed throughout. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the egg, sugar and oil, and mix to create a thick dough. Add the milk and mix well.

3. Lightly grease a baking pan. Scoop up tablespoonfuls of the dough and drop them one by one in mounds onto the baking sheet, leaving 2 inches of space between. You should have about 10 scones. Bake for 15-20 minutes, just until the crust is barely golden brown and the dough is dry. (I think these are better on the light side.) Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes

4. With a fork mix the Lemon Topping ingredients until the sugar is completely melded in. Drizzle 1 tablespoon ever each scone. (I am not a drizzler I am a dipper.)

1 comment:

  1. My hubby was in charge of choosing the treat for tonight's Fam night. Of course, he chose these delicious scones. (And we ate too many)

    ReplyDelete