victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

whole wheat bread-molasses & flax

test #2 completed. my goal is to make a bread that has a good sandwich stretch, excellent taste, is highly nutritious and simple to make. So, what's the difference from a million other bread recipes?
  I am looking to make a bread that is inexpensive to make and that calls for ingredients that are easy to come by. If I were in an emergency situation, I could make a bread that we love!

so far this bread has a thumbs up! my husband loved it and the kids loved it. and then he repeatedly told me that he really LOVES it. I liked it and am excited about it, but am not sure yet that I love it yet, so tweaking is bound to continue. So, any of you that want to try it and then let me know what you think, that would be cool!
what's the recipe, you ask? ok, ok...soon i will post it. david wants me to look at some pictures of him crashing on the ground. no, really.

Ok--so here's the recipe that has yet to be tweaked:

3 cups hot water
2/3 cups powdered milk (I usually whisk this in the water right after adding it)
2 TBS yeast
3 TBS molasses
2 TBS honey
1 TBS dough enhancer* (I will still try this without to see if it really helps it to stay fresher, longer-but this is optional)
2 TBS vital wheat gluten
1 TBS salt
1 cup ground flax seed
Ground white wheat flour

Add flour slowly until dough is slightly sticky. You should be able to touch it quickly and only get a small amount on your fingers. At this point, let the mixer knead the dough. After a few minutes, it should become even less sticky and will no longer stick to the walls of the bowl. (If it just doesn't seem like it has enough flour, you can remove from bowl and knead a little more into it. You want to knead it for about 8 minutes. After dough is ready, let rise in warm place until double in size.

Place dough on either very lightly greased, or very lightly floured (you don't want any more flour in dough) surface. Don't knead, just shape into desired shapes. I made two loaves with this batch, but ended up altering the recipe so that I could make taller loaves the next time. If you don't mind this, then go for two. :)

Place in lightly greased pans, cover and let rise until double in size. Not less than double and not too much more. Bread that has risen too much will have bubbles on the top and will sink after it is baked.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Loaves should be a nice light-mid brown color. Technically, you should let them cool before slicing---but if you have a wonderful bread knife like the one I got for my birthday from my sweet husband, then totally go for it. :) Not much more delicious then a warm slice of bread with...*ahem--I only allow myself this every once in awhile*, a little butter. It's excellent with honey or whatever. We had fantastic sandwhiches with this bread.

Note: I thought it smelled a little funny when pulling from the oven. I think it's just the molasses and flax combination. When I asked the taste testers, (Bob, Preston, Sam & Elle) none of them knew what I was talking about.

So---lemme know how your tries go. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. lol!!!!! Soon...I will post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's not teasing at all. I really was showing her pictures of me crashing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try making this bread. I looks and sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete