victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

roasted red peppers - easy!


I wish I could claim this idea. It is brilliant. I don't know how many different instructions I have followed to make roasted red peppers and all of them were a little tricky and none of them worked all that great.
First, I should give credit where credit is due. The idea comes from Mark Bittman who was a food columnist for the NY Times (The Minimalist). It makes it sooooo easy and it works.
  • Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
  • Line a baking sheet with tin foil and place peppers on it. Roast peppers until they are blackened and deflated, rotating every 5-10 min or so. (The ones depicted are not quite done but they were pretty.)
  • Fold the tin foil up around the peppers and close it up to steam them until they are cool.
  • Remove skin and seeds and use at will.
Finally, so easy! Love it!!

3 comments:

  1. fun, i am glad to learn this! I tried something like this before and now I see why it didn't work. :) I'm going to try this again soon. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i forgot to ask: you said the ones in the pic were not quite done. how black should they be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They got fairly black. I worried that the blackness would dicolor the flesh and make it taste funny. It did change the color a little but it tasted great. I think the deflation is a better indicator of doneness though. They loose shape and fall.

    ReplyDelete