victual - (n) food fit for human consumption
trifection - (n) perfection times 3

Thursday, February 17, 2011

pesto sauce



This is an awesome recipe. We love this and use it for everything from whole wheat pasta to a sandwich spread to pizza. I use raw almonds because they are a lot less expensive than pine nuts and I always have a lot on hand. I add soy milk to thin it out; less when I want it thick and more for pizza or things like that.

1 1/2 cups fresh basil
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup pine nuts (other nuts, such as almonds or walnuts may be substituted)
5 cloves garlic
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper


Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until nuts are ground. Pesto should still have texture and not be completely smooth. Add more salt and pepper to taste and enjoy! One variation is to add 1/2 cup rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes. For a lower fat version replace half the oil with soy milk.

1 comment:

  1. holy moly! that looks totally yummy! I can't believe I actually have all the ingredients to make that! (except, probably need more basil) I haven't ever attempted making pesto and that looks super fun and delicious! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete